The Wellness Mindset ~ Recipes: Paleo Versions of 5 Favorite Comfort Foods

As a sufferer of chronic sinus migraines, I have reluctantly come to realize that grains, dairy and I just don’t get along. For more than 10 years I was gluten-free. Giving up gluten helped rid my body of chronic psoriasis and arthritis. However, my sinus headaches persisted and gradually worsened over the years.

I searched for a reason, an ailment that could explain my sinus problems, even visiting specialists, but to no avail. My ENT doctor checked my sinuses and even sent me for MRI’s and other scans, which all came back clean. She said the migraines are more than likely food related.

So as a nutrition junky, I knew all about the elimination diet and gave it a try. Unfortunately, the elimination diet eliminates dairy and gluten, but not all grains, since oats and rice are allowed on most plans.

It wasn’t until I tried the paleo diet that my headaches finally began to subside. Now my diet is paleo approximately 95% of the time. The other 5% of the time, I allow myself indulgences, including gluten containing foods such as cakes, cookies as well as certain comfort foods and dairy. I find if I indulge in only one or two meals or so a week, my headaches remain at bay.

With that said, there are times when I’m eating healthy that I just need some comfort foods. Today, I’ve searched the internet’s plethora of Paleo sites for paleo versions of some popular comfort foods! ENJOY!

Paleo Chicken Pot Pie

Paleo Running Momma

Baked French Fries with Chipotle Ranch Dip

Paleo Running Momma

Paleo Chocolate Pudding

Nom Nom Paleo

Easy Deep Dish Pizza Pie

Satisfying Eats
This recipe contains dairy.
For a true paleo version, consider using dairy-free mozzarella.

Perfect Grain Free Tortillas

Fork and Beans
Use these amazing tortillas with your favorite taco filling for perfect paleo tacos! I make these all the time! They are delicious and better than any store bought tortillas, whether regular or gluten free..

Until next time, Namaste my friends.

Tamara

Author: Tamara Hoerner

Welcome to The Purple Almond Wellness! I’m Tamara Hoerner, MHNE, ROHP/RNCP wellness educator and founder of Purple Almond Wellness. I work with middle-age individuals to help support brain health and develop whole body wellness, in order to improve the quality of their mid-life years. Heart and Alzheimer’s diseases run in my family and I struggled with weight loss, so I strive to help others with similar conditions. Using only nutrition, I rid my body of seasonal allergies, Psoriatic Arthritis and migraines, as well as cured my insomnia. I know what it takes to use food as medicine, especially in middle age. As a wellness educator and Summa Cum Laude graduate of Hawthorn University, I develop personalized nutrition plans and wellness education sessions, to help clients. For me, the name Purple Almond symbolizes “Good, nutritious, whole food bringing light and life to the body, awakening the inherent healing mechanisms within.” I'm all about getting back to the basics, good old fashioned traditional organic, whole food, the kind your great-grandmother used to eat. You'll find no processed foods here. Just good food to heal your whole body. I also believe a healthy body isn't just about food. Stress plays a large part in the physical health of our body. I, therefore, believe in using anything that relieves stress and heals the body, including: mediation, yoga, music, laughter, inspiration and helping others. You'll find all these included in my blog as well.

One thought on “The Wellness Mindset ~ Recipes: Paleo Versions of 5 Favorite Comfort Foods

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s