As part of my new series The Insomnia Fix, I have compiled a list of 10 snack foods and links to 10 recipes that can help fight insomnia. The snacks and recipes contain foods high in vitamins, minerals and hormones that help promote relaxation or help the body produce the vital sleep hormone melatonin.
10 snack foods to fight insomnia
- almonds – high in magnesium-a muscle relaxer
- tart cherries – high in melatonin- a sleep hormone
- bananas – high in tryptophan – a precursor and necessary component to the production of melatonin
- pineapple – known to boost melatonin
- pumpkin seeds – high in tryptophan
- walnuts – high in melatonin
- goji berries – one of the best known sources of melatonin
- Sweet potatoes – high in potassium – a muscle relaxer
- dairy products – high in tryptophan
- poultry – high in tryptophan
Below are links to 10 recipes designed to help you relax and produce more melatonin. Some of the links contain more than the recipe being highlighted.
By: Great Green Heron
By: Nourished by Nutrition
By: Medicinal Plants and their uses
By: The Awesome Green
In the near future, I’ll be giving you some of my personal favorite recipes for nighttime snacks, drinks and smoothies to help me sleep. What are your favorites? I’d love to see your comments below!